Being a poor student often means settling for some food you wouldn’t normally eat, like Pot Noodle on toast or baked beans and corned beef. But for me, searching the reduced fridges in the supermarket can always be a good shout. For example, you can easily sort out a week’s worth of dinners for under a tenner. This recipe came about because I was scratching around for ingredients and ended up shoving everything together that I had leftover. That’s the great thing with cooking for yourself, don’t feel frightened to experiment.
Spicy Tomato Baked Cod Loin
Effort: Some prep required but fairly easy
Time: 45 minutes to get everything done
Cost: Varies depending on type of fish you use
To serve: Recipe for 2 portions
1-2 fillets of white fish, I’ve used cod loin as it was cheap
1 onion, diced
1 chilli, finely chopped
2 teaspoons paprika
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
Handful of coriander/parsely
1 red pepper, sliced
1 can of chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoon of tomato puree
1. Begin my preheating your oven to 180degrees.
2. Heat a large pan with a small amount of oil and start to fry off the onions and garlic. Once they begin to colour, add the chilli, tomato puree and paprika. Continue to fry and keep stirring.
3. Now add the sliced pepper and fry off for 2 more minutes. Now add the tinned chopped tomatoes, season heavily with salt and pepper and stir through chopped parsely/coriander.
4. Get a baking dish and place the raw fish in the bottom. Pour over the hot tomato sauce and whack in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
5. Remove from the oven once the fish is cooked through.
Serve with roast potatoes or salad. Nice one.